Wednesday 13 May 2015

Selected Satirical Stuff


You've probably gathered this after my recent write-up on the Bugle, but I'm a huge fan of satirical comedy. Besides being bloody funny, I find it soothes the frustration that you feel when you look at the massive amounts of dickery going on in the world. If you can't change it, you can at least laugh at it. In no particular order, I'd like to share some of my favourite satirical spots around the web.





The Daily Mash



This UK-centric site does a great line in skewering politicians  ("New Cabinet Fails Wave and Look Normal Test"), but also excels at finding the absurdity in the minutiae of everyday life ("Tough Mudders defeated by normal conversation"). Much like a British version of the Onion, it's well worth checking up on reguarly.

Clickhole



A spin-off of the Onion, Clickhole does a fine job of taking the piss out of viral/clickbait based sites like Buzzfeed and Upworthy.  It often goes in a surreal direction (such as the story about a revised world map), but if you enjoy oddity and have a love/hate relationship with social media then you'll keep coming back for more.

Newsthump




Another UK-based site, Newsthump proudly proclaims that "It is our stated aim to mock absolutely everyone, eventually". I've only discovered it recently, but it has some great stuff.

Not The Nation




This one's a little more particular, seeing as it specifically pokes fun at Thai issues by parodying one of the largest English newspapers, The Nation. If you live in Thailand, I can't recommend it highly enough...before it's inevitably taken down for violating some press law or another.

Private Eye


When I'm home in England, I'll always get a copy of the Private Eye every two weeks when it comes out. The online version isn't as comprehensive, but does maintain the balance of visual gags and puns with more serious and in-depth coverage of politics and the media.

The Onion



The original satire site, and arguably still the best. You don't need me to tell you how great The Onion is, but I'd definitely recommend you check out their spoof of morning TV shows, Today Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment